We’ve all heard of ‘Dutch Courage’ and ‘Going Dutch’ but do you know what a Dutch Oven is? Or a Dutch Rudder? Here are my top 10 English terms containing the word Dutch:
1. Dutch Courage – drinking to increase bravery.
2. Dutch Widow – prostitute.
3. Dutch Uncle – someone who gives frank or harsh comments, much like a close member of the family would.
4. Going Dutch – in dating, when you split the bill 50/50. Or in groups when parties pay for their own bills.
5. Double Dutch – hard to understand, incomprehensible, nonsense.
6. Dutch Door – a door which is divided horizontally, so that the bottom half may remain shut while the top half opens (American English).
7. Dutch Cap – contraceptive diaphragm.
8. Dutch Auction – an auction that starts at a high price, then lowers dramatically until someone is willing to buy the item.
9. Dutch Oven – the act of trapping a person under the bed covers after farting.
And for my personal favourite…
10. Dutch Rudder – while masturbating, another person pulls up and down on the (masturbating person’s) forearm.
Colourfully explained in the film Zack & Miri Make a Porno, you can watch the clip here:
Which is your favourite? Or is there something I’ve missed from the list?