Zuurkool met rookworst is a traditional Dutch dish made with potatoes, sauerkraut (white cabbage) and smoked sausage. A great winter warmer and tastes even better the next day… if you can wait that long! 😉
- Potatoes (Maris Piper or similar are best)
- Jar / packet of Zuurkool (if you’re in England, you can probably only get a jar, if in the Netherlands there will be packets in the supermarket near the potatoes)
- Rookworst / Smoked sausage
- Salt & Pepper
- Optional extras: apple, bacon, cured meat or even raisins!
1. Boil potatoes with pinch of salt and pepper until soft and ready for mashing. Rinse the zurkool if needed (read: if it’s too sour for your taste.)
2. Simmer zuurkool for 10-15 minutes in its own juices. (Boil the apple – if using.)
3. Mash the potatoes with butter and milk until nice and creamy.
4. Add the zuurkool (and apple) and season. Zuurkool is already quite salty, so go easy on the salt.
5. Warm the smoked sausage as per the instructions (and bacon if you’re using that too!)
7. Eet smakelijk! (Lit: Eat tasty! It really means: Enjoy your meal!) 🙂